Classwize Chat allows teachers to communicate with students in real-time during an active class. Students can only chat with their teacher during an active class and can’t chat with other students.
Students with the Connect Chrome extension installed on their devices will be able to send and receive messages from their teachers. Students using the Connect Windows or macOS Agent will receive messages from their teacher but will not be able to reply to them.
|Student Technology||Teachers can send messages to students||Students can send messages to teachers|
|Connect Chrome Extension||Yes||Yes|
|Connect Windows or macOS Agent||Yes||No|
Enabling and Disabling Chat
Chat can be enabled or disabled at any time during a class. When you turn it back on, it will be exactly as you left it.
Please note: Chat is enabled by default when your school first starts using this feature. Also, Chat automatically turns off when a class session ends.
- Use the Toggle to disable Chat.
- Chat will now be disabled. You can use the Toggle to enable it.
- A pop-up will appear, Heads up! Chat automatically turns off when a class session ends. Tick the checkbox and select I Understand
- When Chat is disabled, students will see this message and be unable to send you messages.
Creating a Chat Username
- To begin using Chat, you will need to create a username. To do this, select Chat
- A pop-up will appear to Set your Chat username. This username will be visible to the students, and we recommend using the name your students would normally use to address you (e.g. Mr. Smith)
- Select Save.
Changing your Chat Username
You can change your chat username at any time.
- If you need to change your Chat username, select your Profile.
- Select Account Settings
- Set your Chat username and Save
Using the Chat
There are three ways you can begin a chat with your students.
- Using the Chat Button
- Using the Student Tile Toolbar
- Using the Live View Chat
Using the Chat Button
- To start a chat, select the Chat button from the toolbar at the top right.
- You can search for a student or select them from the list.
- Type in your message and hit Enter on your keyboard.
- At any point, if you would like to close the chat window, select the Close icon.
- You can reopen the chat window by selecting the Chat button at the top right of your screen.
Using the Student Tile Toolbar
- Select the Chat icon on the Student Tile Toolbar
- Type in your message and select the Send icon.
- At any point, if you would like to close the chat window, select the Close icon
Using the Live View Chat
- In Live View, if you want to communicate with the student, select Chat
- A chat window will appear. You can now communicate with that student.
Replying to a Student
- When you have received a message from one of your students, a number will appear on the Chat button and on their Student Tile Toolbar. You will also receive a Google Chrome notification.
- You will see a red number icon next to the student’s name. This represents the number of unread messages from that student.
- Select the student’s name to open the Chat.
- Type in your reply and select the Send icon.
- To close the message, select the Minimize icon.
What do my students see?
Students will have a small chat button icon on their Chrome browser window. Clicking on this will open up Chat.
Before a student can use the chat, they may be asked to log into their student google account.
Receiving a Message (Student View)
- When a teacher messages a student, the chat window will pop up on the student’s screen. They will need to select their active class.
- The student will see the message and will have the option to reply.
I don't have a chat button.
Classwize Chat is currently in Early Access with our partner test schools, which means that it's in testing with those schools for a limited trial period.
If your school is part of the Early Access group, your school may turn chat on and off as the trial progresses. Chat is also completely disabled for monitoring mode classes.
If your school isn't part of our Early Access group, chat won't be available to you for a while yet—consider this a sneak peek at what's coming!
Why can't I see the chat text box?
Classwize is designed to be run full screen on a minimum of 720p resolution. While it may work in other configurations we have not spent the time to make a fully reactive scalable app. This may be coming in the future.
Can my students contact me 24/7?
No, students can only message you using Classwize Chat during the class(es) you share.
Classwize chat also automatically disables outside of school time, so students won't be able to contact you outside of school hours.
If your student is in another teacher’s session, your student won’t be able to message you and you won’t be able to message them.
Why is my student not replying to me?
There are several different reasons why your student may not be replying to you.
The student may not be using a Chrome browser.
Classwize Chat currently only works on devices with a Chrome browser with the Connect extension installed.
The student may not have the most recent Connect plugin.
The Classwize Chat feature is in early access. Students need a special version of the Connect plugin for Chat to work. If you’re not certain if they have the correct plugin, please contact your local IT team or Linewize support.
The student hasn’t signed in with their Google account.
They must authenticate to reply, but can still see the teacher’s messages if not signed in
The student hasn’t clicked on the notification.
Your student may simply have not seen the chat alert or be ignoring it. You may have to let them know it is you via another channel.
Can chat sessions be monitored or seen by another person?
Classwize Chat sessions between teachers and students cannot be actively monitored by another user apart from the school's IT administrator, however, they won't be able to participate in the chat. All chat sessions are logged and timestamped by your school.
Can I access chat logs?
All chat sessions are logged and timestamped by your school. Depending on your school’s policies, these logs may be able to be made available to teachers on request.
Can I set up group chats with multiple students?
Classwize Chat does not support group chat.
Can I send files to my students? Can I add pictures or screenshots to chat?
You can’t attach files to Classwize Chat yet.
Will chat work in Monitoring Mode classes?
No, Classwize Chat and all other interactive tools are disabled for monitoring mode classes.
The student can see my messages but they can’t reply to them
This may mean that the student is using the Connect Windows or macOS Agent, where chat is currently only one way (teacher to student). This is usually because your school's technology environment doesn't support the use of the Connect Chrome extension. You can contact your school's IT team for more information about the technology mix supported by your school. If you're certain your student is using the Chrome extension, you can also contact Linewize support for help.