Classwize classrooms. Students can use the code to join a local class permanently or a synced class temporarily or until the class syncs.
To join synced classes permanently, a student must be added to the class via the school’s information system. Contact your school’s IT administrator for help.
Invitation Codes work on devices that have the Linewize Connect for Windows, macOS, and Chrome. This is an optional feature that may not be turned on by your school. Contact your school's IT administrator for help if you don’t have the option to create Invite Codes.
This feature is not available to Smoothwall users.
Generating Invitation Codes
You can generate an Invitation Code in two ways:
Invite Students to a New Local Class
Creating a local class gives you full control over it. You can add or remove students and teachers, schedule sessions, and create invitation codes. See Introduction to Class Types and Creating New Local Classes for more information.
Creating local classes is an optional feature and may not be turned on by your school. If the ADD CLASS feature does not appear on your screen, contact your school’s IT administrator.
To invite students to a new local class with a code:
- On the My classes page, select ADD CLASS. The Create a new class dialog appears.
- Enter the name of the new class.
- Toggle on Invitation Code. Classwize will generate a 4-digit Invitation Code, which is valid for one hour.
- Select Teaching Mode.
NOTE: Teaching Mode is selected by default. Invitation Code is unavailable in Monitor Mode.
- Select SAVE.
You can now share the 4-digit code with your students so they can join the class. To join the class using the Invitation Code, students need to log on to https://my.classwize.net and enter the Invitation Code. They can join the class before it starts or while it is in session.
TIP: To generate a new code, Select the Recycle icon. This will generate a new 4-digit code and reset the one-hour expiry.
The Invitation Code also appears on the class tile on the My classes page:
Invite Students to an Existing Class
You can invite new students to an existing local or synced class in Teaching Mode. This allows you to add students to your class if you do not know their username, if they’re new to the school, or if they are temporarily attending your class.
IMPORTANT: Students added to a synced class using Invitation Codes may be removed the next time the class syncs with your school’s student information system. If you need to add students permanently to a synced class, contact your school’s IT administrator for help. See Introduction to Class Types for more information.
To invite students to an existing class with a code:
- Select the Settings icon on the class tile of an existing class.
- Select the Invitation Code tab.
- Toggle on Invitation Code. A 4-digit code will be generated. The code will expire in one hour.
- Select SAVE.
You can now share the code with your students so they can join the class. The Invitation Code also appears on the class tile on the My classes page.
TIP: To generate a new code, select the Recycle icon. This will generate a new 4-digit code and reset the one-hour expiry.
How do my students use an Invitation Code?
Students can use an Invitation Code by going to my.linewize.net
- Select Click Here.
- Enter the 4-digit Invitation Code and log in.
The students will now enter the active class.
Make sure that the student’s Connect Chrome extension or Connect for Windows/Mac is up to date in order to access my.linewize.net. If your administrator has enabled Captive Portal, select the link provided on the My School Manager notification page.
Updating the Connect Chrome extension:
- Go to chrome://extensions/.
- Toggle on Developer mode. This will enable the Update button.
- Select Update to update the Connect Chrome extension to the latest version.
Updating the Connect on Mac or Windows:
Connect will automatically update to the latest version. If your installation of Connect for Windows or Mac is not updated to the latest version, contact your school’s IT administrator for help.
See Troubleshooting: Update Connect Chrome Extension for more information.
My class’s Invitation Code does not work.
Check if you have given the students the correct code for the correct classroom, or try regenerating a new Invitation Code.
The students can no longer get into the classroom with the Invitation Code, what should I do?
- You can regenerate the Invitation Code and give it to your students. Each Code is valid for one hour.
- Check if they are logged on to their Linewize Connect app or Chrome extension.
Why doesn’t the Invitation Code work when I’m trying to teach remotely?
If students who are working remotely can’t join your class using an invitation code, we recommend:
- Asking the student to install and use the Connect for Chrome extension if they are currently using Connect for Windows or macOS.
- Adding the student manually to the classroom. See: Managing Students in a Class for more information.
- Generating a new Invitation Code.
I can't see the screen of a student who was added with an Invitation Code.
There are a few things you can try if you can’t see a student’s screen and they’ve joined your class using an invite code. It can take a bit of time for them to successfully connect. See Waiting for Student Activity for more information.
- Try restarting your class or refreshing your Class View page.
- Try adding the student through the Modify Students feature.
- Check that your student has Linewize Connect installed on their device or Chrome browser.