This article explains how to get the most recent version of your class and students from Google Classroom into Classwize and how to resolve common issues that can occur when syncing.
Syncing your classroom
Warning: If you added or removed students from your class using Class Tools > Modify Students, any changes you made will be undone the next time Classwize syncs with Google Classroom.
Note: We recommended syncing Classwize and Google Classroom before your first class of the day, or right after you make any changes to your Google Classroom. Classwize will tell you the last time that a sync successfully ran at the top of the page.
- In Classwize, ensure that you don’t have any active classes (classes in session).
- Select Sync.
- The Sync with Google Classroom? dialog will appear. Select Sync.
- The sync will run. This may take up to five minutes.
- When the sync has successfully finished, select Close.
Google Classroom Sync Troubleshooting
I don’t see the Sync button.
The Sync button may not show up for you for a few reasons:
1. Your IT administrator hasn’t turned the feature on.
Syncing with Google Classroom is an optional feature in Classwize. You may need to ask your IT administrator to turn it on.
2. You’re in an individual or active classroom.
The Sync button only appears on the My Classes page that shows all of your classes. It will not appear inside individual classrooms.
3. Your school doesn’t use Google Classroom.
Only schools using Google Classroom can use the Sync feature.
I don’t have any active classes, but I see a Google Sync Error that says “Sync can’t be run while there are active classes".
- Refresh your browser window
- Confirm there are still no active classes
- Run the sync again.
If you get the same error message again after this, contact your school's IT support.
Students that I added to my class using Modify Students are gone.
If you added or removed students from your class using Class Tools > Modify Students, any changes you made will be undone when Classwize next syncs with Google Classroom.
If you make these changes regularly, you should add or remove the students in Google Classroom first so those changes can sync with Classwize.